Studying human proportions from mannequin
Drawing from life means observational drawing, when you observe a real object. But in order to draw something from reality, you need to know the principles, elements and steps of realistic approach to drawing, find the shapes, forms, gradations, etc. In this class children will learn to look at the object, but most importantly, they will learn to SEE it from the artist’s point of view and transfer what they see to the paper. We’ll work from real observation (yes, it’s possible in online class!), explore samples of other artist’s works and also will draw from memory. Drawing classes are intended both to hone drawing techniques as well as to improve spatial thinking and visual memory, which are essential skills for young students.
Suggested materials for this class:
- Pencils. Graphite pencils of various hardness: 6B, 4B, 2B, B, HB, H, 2H. (Starting pencil set will be great). Best brands to buy are: Derwent, Faber-Castell, Caran d’Ache, Gretacolor;
- Pencil sharpening tools;
- Black fine markers or pens, Sharpie-like;
- Drawing paper pad, min size 9×12″;
- Folder or portfolio to keep the artwork.
- Vine charcoal of different hardness (in sticks);
- White chalk pencil or just chalk stick;
- Blending stumps, or tortillions.
All the materials mentioned above may be purchased on Amazon, any art supplies chain (Blick, Michael’s, Staples and such), or at any local art supplies store.
Class duration – 60 min via Zoom.