First Steps in Art is a program designed for children from 3.5 to 5.5 years old, where they explore, experiment, and discover lots of different ways to express themselves through art. Each lesson consists of several small projects (2-3), where young artists work around a theme using different media: paints, clay, markers, tissue paper and more… I believe in huge benefits of choice-based art education at this age. Choice-based approach regards students as artists and offers them real choices for responding to their own ideas and interests. We work with small “art centers” where students can choose different materials for their projects. I let the students develop self-confidence and responsibility in making art.
The lessons are 45 or 60 minutes long, depending on the age. The older students (5 years old) are typically ready for one-hour activity.
Materials mostly used in the classroom (all materials are non-toxic and safe):
- tempera/kids acrylic paints and solid tempera sticks
- oil pastels / water-soluble pastels
- soft pencils
- non-hardening modeling clay / Fimo clay/ Air-dry clay (I rarely use play-dough)
- all types of collage materials (tissue paper, felt, fabric, etc., etc.)
Fall 2018 Pricing
- Session 1 (September+October, 7 weeks) $154
- Session 2 (November+December, 6 weeks) $132
- Sessions 1 + 2 (13 weeks) $270
- Session 1 (September+October, 7 weeks) $175
- Session 2 (November+December, 6 weeks) $150
- Sessions 1 + 2 (13 weeks) $308