GENERAL CLASS POLICIES
The lessons offer professional instruction in painting and drawing in an art studio environment. During the lessons, students practice drawing and painting techniques, and study the basics of color theory, shapes, and values. They explore various art materials, such as acrylic paints, watercolor, graphite and charcoal drawing, as well as mixed media. They are introduced to painting and drawing from observation, from memory and from various references, including the reproductions of the works of the great masters.
Students are required to participate in all activities (watching samples, participating in discussions or group critiques, or working independently on a project). As any kind of skill building, drawing and painting require practice outside of classroom, so students may have homework assignments.
Classes are taught in small groups, so a lot of individual instruction is provided. The minimal number of students in a group is 3, maximum is 7.
Classes are taught in English and in Russian. There are Russian- or English-speaking only groups. In bilingual groups English will be spoken, if any of the students has troubles in understanding Russian.
No student will be discriminated on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, national origin, disability, or sexual orientation.
As it was already mentioned, drawing, painting and visual thinking development needs regular practice. Therefore, attendance is important. I expect that all enrolled students attend the classes and participate in all activities.
Most classes in my studio are based on a school year curriculum. The school year starts early September and runs until the end of June of the following year. Fall term is September-December (divided in two sessions), Winter term is January-March, and Spring term is April-June. Studio is generally closed on major holidays and school vacations. Summer classes usually run in shorter sessions, and start in late June or July.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT PAYMENT
- Payment for classes is made for the whole term or session ONLY (e.g.Fall Session 1, Fall Session 2 or the whole Fall term. The total amount depends on the number of the weeks in the term).
- You can find the prices on the classes’ pages.
- One-time registration fee of $20 is added to the first payment.
- Payment is made in the beginning of the term, no later than your first class starts. Late fee equal to the cost of one lesson may be applied if the payment is not received in time (14 days after the first attended class).
- Preferred method of payment is online payment by card (you will receive an invoice with a link). You can also bring a check. Cash is not accepted.
- If you join the class that is ongoing, payment will be prorated.
- Trial classes are only available on specially announced days.
- Sibling/Parent+child discount: 10% of the total cost of the class (applies only to the group classes).
- 5% discount if you pay for the whole term (e.g. for Fall Session 1 + Fall Session 2). This discount is already included in the term prices that are listed on the website.
- Person referring a friend, who signs up, will get a $25 credit for the classes.
- The discounts do not sum up.
REFUND AND MAKE-UP POLICIES
- Please note that any class can be re-scheduled or canceled due to low enrollment. Minimal size of the group is 3 people. If the new time does not fit your schedule, you’ll get a full refund.
- For children’s classes materials are usually provided, unless noted otherwise. I cannot provide ALL possible materials, so sometimes students opt to use their own paints, canvases or other things. For certain classes and art projects additional materials fee apply. For adult painting and drawing classes materials are the student’s responsibility (materials lists are emailed to the students). I provide easels, basic paper and drawing supplies.
- For the cost of classes affiliated with other studios and community centers please follow the links to see the details. My studio is not responsible for organization of these classes.
- Museum visits, plein-airs and field trips are scheduled/paid separately and for the kid’s groups require additional release signed by parent.
- Gift certificates are available for new and ongoing classes. In case the class for which the gift certificate is purchased, is cancelled, the customer will receive a three-day notice and either an option to choose another class, or a full refund. That does not apply to emergencies and weather-related cancellations.
CHILDREN’S CLASSES: BEHAVIORAL EXPECTATIONS
During the classes I expect each student to behave respectfully by taking directions, staying on task, and accepting the guidance. I expect each student as well to refrain from behaviors that abuse the property of the teacher or host facility, from physical aggression or verbal bullying towards anyone. Behavior that does not meet these basic standards will be brought to the attention of the parent and may result in dismissal with no credit, refund or make up day, if unacceptable behavior continues.
The art programs are therapeutic in nature but I am by no means certified to address behaviors or conditions (diagnosed or un-diagnosed) that preclude a positive outcome.
Every parent is responsible for submitting an adequate information about their child’s health issues that can affect the behavior and child’s well-being during the classes. In case I don’t get that information, I cannot be aware of certain issues and manage them during the classes. There may be situations when I will not be able to teach the classes for students with health problems, as I am not trained to do that. In this case I’ll need ask parents to withdraw their children from the classes, and a refund will be issued for the remainder of the course.
CANCELLATIONS, REFUNDS AND MAKE-UPS
- Any lesson may be canceled in case of severe weather or other emergency. Parents/students will be notified by email no later than 2 hours prior to the beginning of the class. Most likely classes will be canceled, if the public schools are closed. You can call or text me directly if you are not sure about the cancellation. Canceled lessons will be made up in the end of the session, however days and time may be different than that of regular classes. Weather-related cancellations are supposed to be made up, and therefore non refundable.
- If I need to cancel the lesson I will notify the students/parents via email and/or text messages as early as possible. Students and parents are responsible for providing the needed and up-to-date contact information. Such lesson may be canceled with a full refund or made up on another day, if convenient for everyone, or the payment will be rolled over to next payment.
- Refund is issued if the student drops out of the class during first 3 weeks of attending the class, minus the cost of attended classes and $25 registration+processing fee. After that, in case of dropout, there will be no refund.
- We don’t have group classes on federal holidays and vacations. Private lessons or make-up classes may be scheduled on these days, upon agreement.
- Private lessons are not included in general schedule and may be arranged if there is a slot available
- Cost of private one-on-one lesson: $50 per 1 hour, $65 per 90-min lesson.
- Payment for private lessons is made on the day of the lesson by check or via online payment.
- In case you need to cancel the lesson, please notify me in writing at least 24 hours prior to the lesson. I understand that an emergency may happen, so you can make a cancellation within the 24-hour period ONCE per semester. At other times, I’ll have to charge you 50% of the cost of the missed lesson.
- Many students choose to take private lessons because their schedule is inconsistent, and it’s hard to follow the curriculum of the group class. However, regular practice and attendance is essential. I expect students who take private lessons, to come at least twice a month.
Make-ups for pre-paid lessons missed by students can only be arranged on special make-up dates, in the end of the term. That applies to sick days, vacations, birthdays and other occasions. The day and time of make up class may be different from those of a regular class. While I will do my best to accommodate everybody’s schedule, I cannot promise that the make up class time will work for everybody. The make ups are usually not scheduled on vacation days and holidays. You or your child can also come with another group, assuming there is space.
I understand that urgent change of plans and conflicts happen, so I allow ONE lesson per term (e.g. Fall term, Winter term etc.) to be skipped with a possibility to credit it towards next payment or come to a make-up class in the end of the term.
A proper 24-hour notice should be made in case you need to skip the class. Otherwise, there will be no refund or make-up for missed group lessons, and the payment cannot be rolled over to the next month’s tuition.
You will be provided a copy of class policies upon registration. Please request it if I don’t provide it.